-->
welcome...

Saturday 21 January 2023

HPV: Major Cause of Oral, Anal, and Penile Cancer

  • It’s Not Just Cervical Cancer, HPV Is a Major Cause of Oral, Anal, and Penile Cancer

    Many people don’t realize how many types of cancer can be caused by HPV. 
    • While there’s an HPV vaccine, many people eligible haven’t gotten the shot.
    • Researchers point out that the HPV vaccine can help prevent the virus that can cause a variety of cancers including anal, penile, and oral cancer.
    • More than 70 percent of people didn’t know that HPV could cause these types of cancer.

    Human papillomavirus (HPV) is a known cause of multiple forms of cancer. However, many Americans aren’t aware or taking appropriate steps to protect themselves.

    In a new research letter published this week in JAMA PediatricsTrusted Source, researchers found that 
     
    many Americans are uninformed about the HPV infection, the HPV vaccine, and the relationship between HPV and certain forms of cancer, including penile, anal, and oral.

    This lack of knowledge likely means that many are unknowingly increasing their risk of cancer despite an available and easily accessible vaccine.

    Researchers looked at a national sample of more than 6,000 people (more than half women) to gauge their knowledge about HPV.

    Their findings indicate that there’s an immediate need to better inform the public about the disease as a cause of cancer.

    Among their findings:

    • HPV vaccination coverage remains far below the current goal set for 2020 of 80 percent (currently 44.3 percent for boys and 53.1 percent for girls).
    • Across all age groups, 70 percent of U.S. adults didn’t know that HPV causes oral, anal, and penile cancers.
    • Men are disproportionately less knowledgeable about HPV, the HPV vaccine, and HPV-related cancers than women.
    • An overwhelming number of older individuals (ages 46 and older) are not knowledgeable about HPV, the HPV vaccine, and HPV-related cancers.
    • Men are less likely to be vaccinated against HPV than women.
     
    The knowledge gap between men and women is one of the most substantial parts of the research. 
     
    It demonstrates that while prior public awareness campaigns about HPV vaccination toward women have been effective, more work needs to be done to encourage men to also undergo vaccination.

    The HPV vaccine, sold under the trade names Gardasil and Cervarix, was first approved by the FDA in 2006.

    The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) includes the vaccine on its immunization scheduleTrusted Source and recognizes the HPV vaccine as “very safe and effectiveTrusted Source.”

    Historically, the HPV vaccine was predominantly targeted at women due to the association between HPV and cervical cancer.

    According to the National Cancer InstituteTrusted Source, “virtually all cervical cancers are caused by HPV.” But with increasing awareness of HPV’s role in other cancers, a shift is needed to address individuals who may be at risk.
     
    “Men know less about the cancers that are common in men. For example, penile cancer. It only occurs among men, but generally more women than men know that HPV causes penile cancer,” said Ashish A. Deshmukh, PhD, MPH, an author of the study and assistant professor in the department of management, policy, and community health at UF Health School of Public Health.

    Cancers caused by HPV

    According to the National Cancer InstituteTrusted Source, HPV causes:

    • 70 percent of oral cancers
    • over 90 percent of anal cancers
    • more than 60 percent of penile cancers
     
    But many, particularly men, remain unaware of this association.
     
    “The burden of HPV-associated cancers is now moving toward anal cancer, oropharyngeal cancer, and these non-cervical HPV-associated cancers. Yet we know less that HPV causes these cancers,” Dr. Deshmukh said.

    He noted that while both incidents and deaths associated with cervical cancer have been declining for many years, other forms including anal and penile cancer have been increasing.

    The study’s findings on the lack of public awareness on HPV, vaccination, and cancer aren’t surprising, Dr. David Fagan, vice chair of pediatrics at Cohen Children’s Medical Center in New Hyde Park, New York, told Healthline.
     
    “When the HPV vaccine was first licensed, they really marketed it toward preventing genital warts and they did not market the vaccine that was going to prevent cancer,” 
     
    Fagan said. “Once they started focusing on HPV as the virus that causes cervical cancer and these other cancers, we started to see more acceptance of the vaccine.”

    The question posed by the new research is how to go about better informing the public — and parents in particular — about the risks posed by HPV-associated cancers and when to get vaccinated.

    Parents need to become more knowledgeable. As the study points out: 
     
    “The lack of HPV knowledge among adults aged 27 to 45, and 46 years and older, is concerning given that adults in these age groups are (or will likely be) the parents responsible for making HPV vaccination decisions for their children.”

    Who should get the HPV vaccine

    Today the CDC recommendsTrusted Source that children receive the HPV vaccine over 2 doses between the ages of 11 and 12.

    It’s further recommended that everyone up through age 26 receive it. Adults ages 27 through 45 are now approved to get the vaccine, but it will likely offer less benefit.
     
    Both Deshmukh and Fagan said that increasing communication between parents, family members, and healthcare providers is paramount for increasing knowledge about HPV, and improving vaccination rates.

    “Have this discussion early. You can actually immunize children as early as age 9 with the HPV vaccine, however most providers begin at age 11. But the conversation should not begin at age 11. The conversation needs to begin a year or two years before that,” Fagan said.

    Written by Gigen Mammoser
Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

6 comments:

  1. Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Ediale a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from HSV (2), i had suffered from this diseases for the past 5 years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Ediale sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested  free from HSV. all thanks to God for leading me to Dr EDIALE who was able to cure me completely from this deadly diseases, I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Ediale because I got to know him through Maria lopez who he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silient and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr EDIALE through his email address dredialeherbalhome101@gmail.com You can also call him on:+2348129900860. Be kind enough to share as you received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhotacured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DREbhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Ehimare helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is drehimare3@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on Drehimare3@gmail.com Or whatsapp him via +1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural herbs have cured so many illnesses that drugs and injections can't cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were cured of Herpes, HPV HIV/AIDS & STDs, Diabetics , Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Arthritis, Chronic pains. etc. by herbal medicine, so I decided to contact the doctor because I know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with Herpes for the past years but Dr Chike cured me with his natural herbs and I referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God be the glory, they were cured too .I know it is hard to believe but I am a living testimony. There is no harm trying natural herbs. Contact Dr on Whats-App . +233502715551. text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 , or you can also contact through his Facebook Page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for nice information. Please visit our web:

    Click Here
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete